Project 2020 Update – November, 2017
In early November, 2017, Fr. Mike Swanton mailed a letter to all St. Bonaventure parishioners. His letter provided a Project 2020 update regarding the amount raised to date during the Capital Campaign and what the next steps for Project 2020 would be. Click HERE to view this letter.
Included in Fr. Mike’s letter was a list of Project 2020 contributors. Click HERE to see this Contributor list, which has been updated to reflect pledges received as of November 28, 2017.
On Sunday, November 19, Open Houses were held in the Parish Center after the 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM Masses to address any questions parishioners might have after receiving Fr. Mike’s letter. Click HERE to view the Questions and Answers from those Open House sessions.
Project 2020 Update – Feb/Mar/April/May, June 2018
Phase V – Construction
- February 27, 2018 – Building Committee met with Architectural Firm, BCDM, to discuss moving into Phase V – the Construction Phase of Project 2020, which will start with a schematic design finalizing construction details.
- BCDM presents an updated schedule identifying work to be done over the next several months, which will culminate in the preparation of bid documents.
- BCDM will provide oversight of the bid process and subsequent construction.
- March 5, 2018 – Columbus City Council grants final approval of proposal to close 16th Street (Actual closure expected around March, 2019 to coincide with the start of construction).
- March, 2018 (various dates)
- BCDM and Building Committee meetings, conferences, etc. to determine overall site layout, room locations, sizes, and other project details.
- Agreement reached to purchase the house currently owned by Al and Maxine Becker, just North of the Church. The parish sincerely appreciates the Beckers’ cooperation and support of Project 2020.
- Project 2020 Real Estate team works on plan for removal of houses on the North side of 16th Street and to the west end of the street. The Plan will be to remove a minimal number of houses required to support parking requirements and construction.
- March 27, 2018 – BCDM presents the draft Schematic Design to the Building Committee, along with their comments in several areas, particularly involving the Kitchen, the Knights of Columbus area and Music Room. Also discussed was the anticipated schedule for house removal on the North side of 16th Street. Three to five houses will be removed initially, with the remainder staying (and will continue to be rented) until a later date.
- April 19, 2018 – After interviewing three potential Construction Manager candidates, the Project 2020 Steering Committee (Fr. Mike, Dennis Grennan, Deacon Dan Keiter, Don Heimes and Clete Pillen) decide it is advantageous to utilize a Construction Manager during the Building Phase rather than follow the traditional Design – Bid – Build approach.
- A Construction Manager will maximize efficiency and coordination throughout the entire construction process by providing his input during the Design/Development stage. This input will be critical in the planning and staging of construction activities so as to minimize the construction impact on normal Church and Parish operations. This early Construction Manager input will also be an asset in working with the Building Committee and BCDM in choosing the most cost effective methods, materials and scheduling for the project.
- BCDM is helping prepare a solicitation RFP (Request For Proposal) that will be sent out to potential Construction Manager candidates on April 23.
- April 19, 2018 – BCDM meets with Building Committee and presents them with the April 16, 2018 Schematic Design Submittal document. This 72 page document can be found Here.
- Overall Site Layout and Narthex and Parish Center components discussed. The Site Layout Schematic as of April 16 can be found Here.
- Other Site Schematic Drawings can be viewed Here.
- Project 2020 cost estimates were discussed and adjustments continue to be made as more detailed information is developed.
- Week of April 30, 2018 – meeting planned to finalize Schematic Design
- May, 2018 – Design Development stage begins (refer to Schedule Timeline above). Subcommittee meetings will take place on the Parish Center, Architectural, Narthex/Gathering Space and others as needed. The goal is to finalize Design Development by the week of June 18.
- June, 2018 – B-D Construction is selected as Project 2020 Construction Manager. B-D will be working closely with BCDM and Project 2020 committees and will be refining the schedule and cost estimates based on the Design Development drawings from BCDM. That information should be available by mid July.
- June 21, 2018 – Building Committee and committee representatives meet with BCDM and B-D Construction to review final Design Development layout of Narthex, Parish Center and Site/Parking
- June 21, 2018 – general meeting held in Social Hall with all committees to provide updates on various changes made to Project 2020 components and to discuss the current project timetable.
- The next steps for Project 2020 are preparation of Construction Documents and Drawings, culminating in issuing invitations for Requests for Proposals for Construction. Depending on the schedule provided by B-D Construction, bids are expected the first part of January 2019, with construction beginning in March 2019. Some preliminary construction activities and removal of houses may start before then.
- The Finance and Communications teams are working on preparing updates to the parish regarding the Capital Campaign, the amount of funds raised/pledged, the amount remaining to be raised/pledged and a plan to raise the needed funds. These updates will be provided in July and throughout August.
Project 2020 construction will have an impact on the ability to accommodate normal Parish events such as, weddings, funerals, as well as daily, Sunday and Holy Day Masses. We ask for everyone’s understanding during this time and request that you watch the Sunday bulletins and Parish website for important announcements in this regard. You can also contact the Parish Office at (402) 564-7151 or email the office at email@example.com with questions
Construction is planned to start in March 2019 and be completed by approximately April 2020.
Other Project 2020 Developments
We sincerely thank all those who have made a financial commitment to support Project 2020. Your contributions will truly allow St. Bonaventure to improve its ability to provide a space for Catholic worship and communal fellowship, as well as attracting others to join our Parish family as well.
To those who have not made a commitment to Project 2020, we prayerfully ask you to do so as soon as possible. We need everyone’s help to make this project the best it can be.
Meanwhile, our Finance Team will continue to explore ways we can raise the funds required to support the project moving forward. If you have any suggestions, feel free to contact Don Heimes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Project 2020 Update – September 2019
Phase V – Construction
- January 22, 2019 – Pre-Bid meeting with interested contractors
- February 7, 2019 – Contractor bids due.
- April 2019 – Demolition of Parish Center, Chapel and Garage.
- May 2019 – New Parish Center construction begins.
- May 19, 2019 – Groundbreaking ceremony.
- July 15, 2019 – Feast of St. Bonaventure and temporary closing of the church. 6:30 AM Masses moved to St. Anthony’s Church, Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration move to Scotus Chapel. Parking lot and narthex construction begin.
- July 20/21, 2019 – First weekend Masses held at Scotus Cafeteria.
- July 21, 2019 – Informational Town Hall Meeting.